Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Recipe: Easter Egg Treats!

Can you believe its already Easter?!  What are your plans?

Last year, Nate and I started the tradition of hosting Easter Saturday for the Rowley side of our family.  We made a big ham, scrambled and hard boiled eggs, potatoes, fruit salad, a big veggie platter and we had our own adult Easter egg hunt complete with a $10 golden egg!  My siblings gave us an early wedding present (an amazzzzing grill), and we took a long walk on the boardwalk after everyone ate way too much! It was a beautiful spring day, the first time most of my siblings had visited us in our new hometown...and it was my mom's last ever visit to Ocean City.

This year its supposed be another beautiful spring day, but only half the fam can make it down (we'll only be a party of 5, not 11).  So, we decided to switch things up a bit - we're having Easter on our boat heading out to lunch at a restuarant on the bay!

For me that means no cooking (!!), but I'm not going to let myself off that easy!  This afternoon I headed into the kitchen to prep my appetizers and try out a new and festive dessert!

What did I make?

These adorable chocolate dipped Rice Krispie treat Easter Eggs!

(FoodFamilyFinds.com)

Ingredients Needed:
  • 3 tablespoons Margarine or Butter
  • 1 package (10 oz, about 40) regular marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
  • 6 cups Kellog's Rice Krispies Cereal
  • Pam cooking spray
  • Chocolate / Vanilla candy melts (variety of colors, I used Wilton brand)
  • Sprinkles (Targe had a cute 5 pack of Easter themed sprinkles)
  • Large plastic easter eggs (ya know, the ones you fill with candy)
  • Wax paper

Directions:
1. Spray (liberally) plastic Easter eggs with pam cooking spray.

2. Melt margarine or butter in large saucepan over low heat.  Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.  Remove from heat

3. Mix in Kellog's Rice Krispie cereal.  Stir until well coated.

4. Stuff the plastic Easter eggs with warm Rice Krispie mixture.  I found the best method is to use each half of the egg as a shovel and then squeeze the halfs together to close.  Let them sit for about 10 minutes.


5. Carefully open the Easter eggs and removie your egg shaped treats.  Place on wax paper.

Note: If the don't come out perfect, gently mold back into shape but try not to crush the cereal (I think that looks worse).  But if you have enough cooking spray inside, they will turn out great!


6. Melt your candy melts over low heat and dip bottom half of Rice Krispie treats into chocolate.

7. Before the chocolate dries, coat with sprinkles.  

8. Dry your treats on wax paper until chocolate hardens.  Store in cupcake carrier to keep fresh until ready to eat!



P.S. I don't know what it is, but I'm definitely on a Rice Krispie treat kick - I made these green shamrock treats for St. Paddy's day (and served them in the green leprechaun hat)! 

1 comment:

  1. Absurdly cute. Definitely making these this week!! Thanks for sharing Kait!

    ReplyDelete