Monday, April 16, 2012

Craft of the Week: Glitter Shoes!


It's been a little while since my last Craft of the Week post.  (Like I said, I've been channeling my creativity in other ways lately...)  But today I thought I'd share one of my favorite "pre-blog" crafts! 

DIY Glitter Shoes!

With sequins and sparkles literally everywhere this past winter / holiday season, I was dying to use some glitter to jazz up something old in my closet.  And after a trip to DSW, I decided I could totally save myself the $60 and make my own glitter shoes with old black pumps.  So, I recruited my sister, Emily (who is my lovely hand model in the below pictures!) and to the craft store we went!

The shoes, while messy to make, actually turned out to be a major success!  Emily wore hers to her sorority's winter formal and I wore mine to my work holiday party.  They were a huge hit (which means a lot coming from talented fashion designers)!  Best part?  While we may have left a little trail of glitter throughout our respective parties, the glitter actually stayed on!  No big patches missing, just a few flakes here or there!  I can't wait to break them out again next year (that is, after I wear the heck out of my flip flips and sandals all summer)!

Anyways, here's the tutorial!  And apologies in advance for the over-exposed pictures! Ooops!

Supplies Needed:
  • Old leather shoes (work better than suede)
  • Craft Glitter (in any color / size)
  • Tacky Glue
  • Spray adhesive glue (we used Elmer's, but the stronger the better!)
  • Foam brush
  • Cardboard / poster board
  • Paper towels / tissue paper

Directions:
1. The key this craft is to add the glitter in sections..and be very liberal with both the glue and the glitter!  So first, a small area of the shoe with your foam brush and tacky glue.  Apply glitter - with hands or pouring from the bottle.


I'd highly recommend stuffing your shoes with paper towels / tissue paper to protect the insides from glue and glitter (especially in step 2).

If you accumulate excess glitter piles, we would occasionally funnel the leftover glitter back into the jar.  Like I said, be liberal when applying!

  
2. Once you've completed gluing/glittering the whole shoe, let it sit to dry for about 30 minutes.  Then, spray your shoes with the spray adhesive - keeping the spray about 6 inches above your shoe.  Leave out to dry for 24 hours before wearing!  (Store in a shoe box to prevent glitter from getting everywhere in your closet!)


Hmm, perhaps I need to spruce up a a pair or two of my summer sandals...!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment