Nate and I are on a big cucumber salad kick right now. (There could be worse things to binge eat, right?)
Nate has been tormenting me that we're really just making homemade pickles. But I refuse to admit that this delicious salad is anything but cucumbers with "dressing". Pickles = gross!! So yeah, my fellow pickle haters out there - this looks, smells and taste nothing like those sour smelly things, I promise! :)
Here's our recipe - I apologize for the less than accurate measurements as we just eyeball the ingredients. I promise its more fun that way, and you really can't mess it up!
- 4 large cucumbers
- Red or yellow onions - your choice!
- White wine vinegar
- Dill weed
- Red pepper flakes
- Large bowl with lid
1. Peel your cucumbers completely or leaving a little strip of green in between each peel.
2. Cut the cucumber into thin slices and add to a large bowl (bigger than the one in the picture below)
3. Slice your onion into small rounded slices and add to your bowl.
4. Next add 3 parts white wine vinegar and 1 part water until all the cucumbers and onions are covered (sort of like a crock pot recipe).
5. Add about a little bit of sugar - maybe a teaspoon? (We don't like it too sweet) Stir.
6. Add a couple big shakes of dill weed. (We love the dill flavor!) Stir.
7. For a little zing, add a shake or two of red pepper flakes.
8. Cover your bowl and place in the fridge...you're cucumber salad is ready to eat when you are!