Friday, January 27, 2012

Recipe: Scalloped Potatoes



I'm working from home today and woke up a little early to start making dinner.  That's right, I said dinner!

I have been daydreaming about making these scalloped potatoes ever since we had them on New Years Eve.  (So much so, that I begged my friend Kelly to get me the recipe!)  They take all day to cook...but the recipe is super easy and its SOO worth the wait!  You can't screw it up!

All you mushroom haters out there - the recipe calls for cream of mushroom soup but I promise you won't even know its in there when its all said and done! I am a verrrrrry picky eater and HATE mushrooms, but these potatoes are to die for!  Crispy, cheesy and delicious!

I'll post a picture tonight when they're ready (Update: see above!)!  Until then, here's the recipe!

Ingredients
  • 5lbs of all purpose idaho potatoes (peeled or not, your choice)
  • Margarine or butter
  • Pam
  • Cream of mushroom soup (1lg & 1 sm, or 4 reg cans)
  • 3 cups shredded cheddar
  • Milk (1 cup for soup mixture, and some reserve)
  • 1 lg onion (sliced thin)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 250 to cook all day.   For short term cooking, preheat to 350.

2. Peel and / or cut potatoes into slices.  Cut onion into thin slices.



3. Spray your pan(s) with Pam. Then add 2 tablespoons of butter sliced to the bottom.


4. Open soup, put in bowl and add a cup of milk.  Mix together.


5. Place spoonfuls of soup mix on bottom of pan until completely covered. It's important to make sure you have enough liquid on the bottom - this helps brown when you stir up bottom to top during cooking.


6. Place layers of potatoes (overlapping) onion slices, salt, pepper, soup mixture, layer of shredded cheddar cheese, then repeat. Top off with soup mixture. 

Potatoes

Onions, salt and pepper

Soup mixture

Cheese!

7. Cover with tinfoil for all day cooking. Spray with Pam so it doesn't stick.

8. Put in oven all day at 250 temp.  Throughout the day, to thicken up mixture, stir up from bottom. If your potatoes dry, you can always add a little milk.

For short term cooking, cook at 350 @ 2 hrs without cover.  If you wish to brown (which I HIGHLY recommend), just place under broiler 15 minutes before serving and watch.

In the oven...
(mines on the top rack because our oven is awful...but middle rack should be fine)

Note: This makes two 13 x 9 pans. So cut recipe, depending on size.

Enjoy! xoxo

(Recipe from the kitchen of Aileen Kevane)

Update @5:00pm: Around 3:00pm this afternoon, my potatoes were a little runnier than I wanted.  I think I was too worried about not having enough liquid on the bottom and actually put too much.  Either that, or our oven is worse than I thought.  So, I uncovered and let cook at 350 for the past 2 hours.   The top is browning and the potatoes underneath are still moist and look delicious!  I plan to switch to broil about 10 minutes before we sit down to eat for a little extra crispyness!  Will post final picture tonight!

Update @6:pm: Just finished dinner and the potatoes were as good as I remembered!  Aileen was right, you really can't mess this recipe up!  Just watch them cook and adjust your heat and stirring method accordingly.  I'm already excited for leftovers...

1 comment: